UIC Fall 2013 Applications
To be considered for admission to the PhD in Social Work program, you must be admitted to both the University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate College and the Jane Addams College of Social Work Doctoral Program.
- A UIC Graduate College Admission Application (online application)
- A fillable pdf. Jane Addams College of Social Work PhD Program Application (Including section listing employment) submit as an attachment through the UIC Graduate Application Document Upload Process.
Select "save as" from the computer's file menu, save the document on the desktop and submit the pdf. application form as an attachment through the UIC Graduate Application Document Upload Process.
- A detailed Personal Statement of Intent (item 3 on JACSW Application instructions) that clearly indicates:
- Your reasons for applying for the doctoral program
- Your professional objectives and plans and how the doctoral degree would contribute to them
- A discussion of the fit between your objectives and the mission of the Jane Addams College of Social Work
- Your proposed area of specialization
- An indication of the related social science field in which study would likely be undertaken, and
- Your research interests
- Writing sample(s) (see item 4 of the JACSW application instructions) should be submitted electronically through the online UIC Graduate Admissions application document upload process.
- Unofficial copies of all college and university transcripts which should be submitted electronically through the online UIC Graduate Admissions application document upload process.
- Official copies of all college and university transcripts, sent directly from the institutions attended (including UIC if applicable)
- Four letters of reference, which should be submitted electronically through the online UIC Graduate Admissions application document upload process directly by the person (recommender) preparing the reference. At minimum, but more of each is preferred, one of the references should be academic and one should be that of a recent supervisor. (Do not use relatives as references.) Reference letters should address the applicant's readiness and potential for scholarship at the doctoral level; commitment to social work and the social, racial, and economic justice mission of Jane Addams College ; and personal, professional, and intellectual qualities important to success in the program.
- Examination scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), submitted directly to the University. Applicants from countries in which English is not the native language must also submit TOEFL scores (code 1851-5001).
- A $60 non-refundable application fee for domestic and international applicants to the University of Illinois at Chicago). When you file the on-line Graduate College application, you will be given the option of paying your fee by Visa or MasterCard.
- ALL DOCUMENTS SENT TO THE UIC GRADUATE UPLOAD PROCESS SYSTEM MUST BE IN PDF. FORMAT. PLEASE INFORM ALL RECOMMENDERS.
To download the application in PDF format, please be sure that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free. If you need to download the Reader program, click the Reader icon.
For early consideration, please make sure we have received all materials by January 1st. The final deadline for applications to be considered for the current year is February 15th. Admission decisions are normally made by April 1st. All of the above should be directed to:
Doctoral Program Admissions
Jane Addams College of Social Work
University of Illinois at Chicago (MC 309)
1040 West Harrison Street
Chicago, IL 60607-7134