Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor in Asian American Studies
Phone: (312) 996-5091, (312) 413-0415
Fax: (312) 413-1804
TDD: (312) 413-0453
University of Illinois at Chicago
Asian American Studies Program (MC 231)
601 S. Morgan Street, 10th floor, Room 1026
Chicago, IL 60607
University of Illinois at Chicago
Department of Disability and Human Development
1640 Roosevelt Road - Room 548
Chicago, IL 60608
University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Disability and Human Development
NIDRR-Funded Postdoctoral Research Fellow, August 2007 - August 2009
Boston University, School of Education
Doctor of Education in Special Education, 2001
(Emphasis was on disability studies, rehabilitation, education, and counseling)
Dissertation: Entering Adulthood with a Disability: Individual, Family, and Cultural Challenges
RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
• Immigrant and Refugee Issues
• Race, Ethnicity, and Culture
• Disability and Ethnic Studies
• Cross-Cultural Research Methods
• Participatory Action Research
• Empowerment and Social Justice
• Community Building and Advocacy
• Disability, Mental Health, and Health Disparities
• Individual, Family, Community and Systems
• Cultural Competency / Cultural Brokering
• Vocational Rehabilitation and Counseling
• Inclusive Education and Community Integration
• Leadership and Capacity Building
• Innovative Collaboration and Partnerships
• Hasnain, R., Kondratowicz, D., M.,Borokhovski, E., Nye, C., Balcazar, F., Portillo, N.,
Hanz, Johnson, T. & Gould, R (May, 2011). Do cultural competency interventions work? A
systematic review on improving rehabilitation outcomes for ethnically and linguistically
diverse individuals with disabilities. FOCUS: NCDDR, Brief No 21
• Montalto, N. & Hasnain, R. (2011). Systems change for greater cultural
competence in the Pennsyvania disability service and support sector. A Report to
the Pennsylvania Developmental disabilities Counsel, IL.
• Hasnain, R, Yusuf, A., Hashi, N., Ali, A., Restrepo-Toro, M., Taylor-Ritzler &
Suarez-Balcazar, Y. (2010). Improving services for U.S. based Somali refugees
with disabilities: An evaluation capacity building approach. The Community
Psychologist, 43, 2, 12-15.
• Hasnain, R. (2010). Brokering the culture gap. Forced Migration Review. Major
Feature: Disability and displacement. University of Oxford: Refugee Studies Centre.
• Hasnain, R. & Balcazar, F. (2009). Predicting community- versus facility-based
mployment for transition-aged, young adults with disabilities: The role of race,
ethnicity, and support systems. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 31, (3). 175-
• Boeltzig, H., Sulewski, J.S. & Hasnain, R. (2009). Career development among
young artists with disabilities, Disability & Society, 24, (6), 753-769.
• Hasnain, R. & Rana, S. (Feb, 2010). Unveiling Muslim voices: Aging parents with
disabilities and their adult children and family caregivers in the U.S.: A call for
research and action. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 26, (1), 46-61.
• Hasnain, R., Sotnik.P., & Ghiloni, C. (July/Aug/Sept 2003). Person-centered
planning: A gateway to improving services for culturally diverse individuals
with disabilities. Journal of Rehabilitation, 69 (3), 10-17.
• Hasnain, R. (1996). Review of Comparative Studies in Special Education by
Mazurek, K., and Winzer, M (1994). Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.
Disability Studies Quarterly, (16) 3, 37-41.
PUBLICATIONS: BOOK CHAPTERS, INSTITUTE & RESEARCH BRIEFS,
MONOGRAPHS, AND PROCEEDINGS
• Hasnain, R. (2010). Disabilities within the Asian American family. (Eds. Edith W.
Chen and Grace J. Yoo in The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Asian American Issues
Today. San Francisco State University.
• Hasnain, R. & Leung, P. (Fall, 2009), Cross-cultural issues in the vocational
rehabilitation system for Asian-Pacific Americans with disabilities (Book Chapter
accepted October, 2008), In Balcazar, F., Balcazar, Y., Keys, C. & Taylor-Ritzler, T.
(Eds)). Culture, Race, and Ethnicity. Jones and Bartlett Publishers..
• Hasnain, R., Cohen, L., & Shanawani, H. (2008). Disability and the Muslim
perspective: An introduction for rehabilitation and health care providers, Center
for International Rehabilitation Research Information and Exchange.
• Komissar, C., Paiewonsky, M., Hart, D., & Hasnain, R. (Fall, 2001). Disability
agencies and cultural communities: Working together to support volunteers.
IMPACT, 14 (2), 12-14.
• Sotnik, P., & Hasnain, R. (1998). Collaborations and partnerships: Collaborative
research and innovation in the community. Special Edition. General Pediatrics
Research News, 4(2)
HONORS AND AWARDS
• FoundAsian Award, City of Chicago’s Chicago Commission on Human Relations
Advisory Council on Asian Affairs, Found Asian Award, May, 2011
• Paulette Anjorin Community Service Award, Commissioner of the Massachusetts,
Department of Mental Retardation, Urban Youth Initiative, Summer, 2006.
• UMass Boston Faculty Fellow for Greater Expectations Institute, Association of
American Colleges and Universities, Utah, June 21-25, 2006.
• Ansin Intercultural Dissertation Research Award. 1997-1998.
• School of Education Graduate Scholarship. Boston University 1992-1995.
• Cambridge’s Who’s Who
• Outstanding Students of America
• Phi Delta Honors Society for International Scholars
• Pi Lambda Theta International Honor and Professional Association in Education
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
National Council on Rehabilitation Education
International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual Disabilities
Society for Community Research and Action: Division of Community Psychology
The Chicago Community Foundation- Asian Giving Circle
Asian and Pacific Islander (API) Developmental Disability Advisory Board for the
Illinois Department of Human Services.
Association for Asian American Studies Conference Committee Chicago, IL
Advisory Counsel for the Asian Health Coalition, Chicago, IL
Great Wall Center: Vice President of the Asian Disability Board, Boston, MA
Somali Development Center: Member of the Board of Directors, Boston, MA
South Asia Research Institute for Policy and Development (SARID), Boston, MA
YES Network Pakistan: Member of the Board of Directors, Pakistan