Mixed Methods Core
Director: Karen Kavanaugh, PhD, RN, FAAN
Co-Director: Sandy Burgener, PhD, APRN-BC, FAAN,
Support Staff: Veronica Angulo, Project Coordinator
Services Provided by this Core:
1. Provide consultation related to:
- General research design and data collection for mixed methods research
- Issues related to recruiting and retaining subjects for end-of-life and other sensitive research.
- Evaluation and adaptation of instruments to be used with specific age and ethnic groups at various phases of experiencing end of life
- Complex and advanced analysis strategies and statistics and data management services that include: qualitative data reduction, automated data entry and verification for large data sets.
- Ethical issues in conducting sensitive research
2. Provide programs and resources for Center investigators/affiliates and project staff including:
- Special interest groups
- Programs and seminars for the development of investigators and project staff with respect to methodological issues and end-of-life transition research
- Expansion of CRRVP Instrument Library to include both qualitative guides and quantitative measure relevant to end-of-life research.
- Guidelines for methodological issues related to end-of-life transition research, including recruitment and retention, assessing decisional capacity, developing and maintaining relationships with professional staff at clinical agencies, and tailoring data collection measures
- Interviewer training for end-of-life or other sensitive research
- Peer support strategies for investigators who conduct end-of-life or other sensitive research