Iron street in the Central Manufacturing District before district improvements were made.

Iron street was located to the south of the Union Rolling Mills (later Illinois Steel Company), which had originally opened in 1865 on the left bank (west side) of the South Fork at Archer Road. The Rolling Mills made an impression on Finley Peter Dunne, who refers to the mills often in his Mr. Dooley columns. By the time of this photograph, the steel works were closed. However, metal working continued to be an important industry in the area. Note the scrap iron in the photograph.


Source: Central Manufacturing District (1915), p. 10.

[ RETURN ]