River, road and rail all met in the vicinity of the Central Manufacturing
District. Union Boat House, operated by the Chicago River and Indiana
railroad, was located to the northwest of Bridgeport. The Chicago Junction
railway maintained a special agreement with the former company in order to
provide water-carrier access to the firms of the district. This particular
facility could receive up to eight large boats and 125 rail cars at one
Source: Central Manufacturing District (1915), p. 22.
[ RETURN ]