Chancellor’s Committee on the Status Of Persons with Disabilities
June 14, 2002
IIDD Room 448
(Chaired by Larry Voss & Robin Jones)
Members Present: Larry Voss, Robin Jones, Elyse Nowak, Lucy Cotugno, David Mitchell, Joy Hammel, Carol Gill, Peter Berg
Guests: Caryn Bills, Access and Equity
Excused Absences: Joann Gras, Richard Allegra, Ron Schoen, Richard Larson
Meeting called to order: By Robin Jones & Larry Voss
Approval of minutes: Minutes of the May 13, 2002 meeting were approved as distributed. Motion made by David Mitchell and seconded by
Meeting Schedule for July/August – Motion was made to cancel the July 2002 meeting of the CCSPD due to vacations and summer class schedules. Committees will continue to work during July in preparation for the fall activities. Motion was made by Lucy Cotugno and seconded by David Mitchell.
- Meeting Schedule for Fall 2002 – The committee reviewed the schedule for the fall and determined that the time and date would remain the same. Members were reminded that Eunjung had sent out a message to the committee in May with the dates and times of the Fall/Winter meetings. Locations would be determined at a later date.
- Web Site Revisions – Larry and Robin updated the committee on activities planned for the web site. It was determined that the web site needed some major revisions to make it more attractive and appealing to visitors. This includes additional information about the committee such as meeting minutes, etc. and resources within UIC and the City of Chicago. Robin and Larry will be working with a graduate student who is hired hourly through the summer to accomplish this goal. Larry is working with Drew to get permissions for accessing the web site.
- CCSPD Budget for 2002-2003- Robin and Larry reviewed the proposed budget. The Committee took a $1000 reduction in budget mandated by the Chancellor’s office in January 2002. All Chancellors’ Committees were required to take an additional 8% reduction in budget for the 2002-2003 fiscal year. This will effectively reduce the CCSPD budget by approximately $3,000 over previous years allocations. The proposed budget reflects these decreases. It was determined that the committee would cut the travel and conference lines from the upcoming year. Members may still request support to attend conferences and meetings but the committee will not have funds budgeted for this purpose and will need to review the request in light of other committee activities. A proposal was put forth to the committee for support and/or assumption of the lecture series that has been run by the Disability Studies Doctoral program in the past. The pro’s and con’s of this were discussed in depth by the committee but a decision was not reached. The structure of the lectures, input by the committee and over-all management of this program was deferred to the CCSPD Program Committee for discussion. They are expected to make a recommendation back to the executive committee and subsequently the full committee before July 15, 2002. The timing of this request is critical to the scheduling of the lecture series in 2002-2003 and securing additional funding and support as needed. Carol Gill is on this committee and will request that the Chairperson, Richard Allegra convene a meeting in the upcoming week for further discussion. David Mitchell offered to be available to answer questions from the sub-committee.
- CCSPD Annual Report and Meeting with Chancellor Manning – Larry and Robin discussed the upcoming meeting with the Chancellor scheduled for July 19, 2002. Larry, Robin and David M. as the incoming chair will be present at the meeting. This meeting is held annually to allow the Chairs and in-coming chairs to discuss concerns and issues with the Chancellor. The CCSPD Annual Report is due at this time and budget for the 2002-2003 fiscal year. The CCSPD representatives will discuss the increased visibility of the committee over the past year as well as planned events for 2002-2003. It was discussed that concerns regarding the campus response to accessibility needs as well as planning for the disability services office will be raised by the chairs.
Student Orientation and role of the CCSPD – Robin reported that Richard Allegra sent forward the dates and plans for the student orientation to campus. It was noted that most activities have been in the planning stage for some time and there was no specific role for CCSPD at this time. The Disability Services Office provides orientation information to students with disabilities regarding campus services, etc. as part of the orientation process. There may be other opportunities during the first week of classes as well as the DHD student orientation to highlight the CCSPD and our activities. The committee discussed the feasibility of hosting or co-hosting an activity during the first semester for students with disabilities and making it a combination social/educational activity. The Program Sub-committee will discuss the options during their upcoming meetings and planning sessions for 2002-2003.
- Disability Services Relocation/Alignment: Larry discussed the status to date of the campus activities related to the relocation of the Disability Services Office. It was reported that at least two meetings have been held on this issue without representation from the CCSPD. Larry has drafted a letter from the Committee to the Chancellor regarding this issue and it will be delivered following the meeting. The content of the letter was reviewed with the committee.
- Campus Statement of Commitment regarding People with Disabilities: Larry discussed the status of the statement. The Chancellor has indicated that she will wait until the fall semester to release the statement. It is anticipated this is due to the heightened awareness in the fall with the returning faculty and staff. Involvement of the CCSPD in the release of the statement is unknown but will be discussed during the annual meeting with the Chancellor and chairpersons.
- Status of “violation” documentation: Robin updated the committee regarding the reports received to date. They range in the area of transportation (shuttle services), parking, physical access to the unions and University Hall as well as signage. Additional issues should be submitted to Robin ASAP. She is in the process of surveying these areas for verification and documentation to be submitted to the chancellor.
Due to lack of time and other discussion, no formal reports were given. Caryn Bills form the Office of Access and Equity provided a very brief update of activities in process and responded to many of the issues discussed during the meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 5:00pm
Next meeting will be held on August 9, 2002
At IIDD Room 448
NOTE: JULY CCSPD MEETING CANCELLED!