Chancellor’s Committee on the Status of Persons with Disabilities
September 18, 2009 Meeting Minutes
Members present: Betsy Gates-Ehlers, Jerry Lockwood, Drew Browning, Joann Gras, Robin Hursey, William Schubert, Ed Garay, Mark N. Goerdert, Marsha Cassidy, Ryan Parrey, and Peter Berg.
Members unable to attend: Caryn Bills, Janis Hayden, Michelle Bulanda, Janet Smith, Alanna O’Connor, Ann Barnds, and Roxanna Stupp
GA: Sean Plomann
Guests: Alyson Patsayas
I. Approval of Agenda and Last Month’s Minutes:
- 1st- Peter Berg, 2nd- William Schubert
- Agenda Approved
- 1st- Peter Berg, 2nd- Jerry Lockwood
- Minutes Approved
II. Subcommittee Reports
Co-chairs: Summary of goals and activities
A. Program (Peter and Joann)
B. Technology (Mark and Alanna)
1.) Facilitate CCSPD communications to the campus and community through the web by providing regular updates to the CCSPD website.
2.) Revitalize the CCSPD website to bring it up to modern accessibility, design, and campus standards.
3.) Perform an advisory role providing technical expertise to the CCSPD. The intrinsic value of the technology sub-committee lies in its ability to offer technical guidance in support of fellow committee members to further the mission of the CCSPD as a whole.
C. ACDC (Jerry and Peter)
1) The advocacy role the Advisory Committee on the Disability Commitment (ACDC) plays on behalf of the CCSPD remains an important function.
2) How or if this role overlaps / duplicates services being provided through the DRC Issue Resolution service needs to be evaluated further. Any significant trends in the issues that DRC is made aware of should be shared with the ACDC and / or the CCSPD on a regular basis.
3) The role of the ACDC relative to the mandated Office for Access and Equity (OAE) annual report on the implementation plan of the CCSPD needs to be assessed.
4) Representatives of the ACDC will be meeting with Caryn Bills-Windt, Director of OAE, prior to the October CCSPD meeting.
5) For the time being, the ACDC will meet on an as-needed basis responding to issues that are brought to its attention.
III. New Business
A. Budget for Fiscal 2009/10
1) Joann says the budget meeting with the Chancellor will now take place Tuesday. She believes that our budget will be at least the same amount as last year, approx. the $18,788 in the proposed budget.
2) Joann says the Survey part of the budget will be considered separately, but we can transfer regular money into it, if necessary.
3) The committee agreed that our priority spending should be for the Survey. Joann and Peter, co-chairs of the Program Committee, were not only comfortable with dropping to $5000, but willing to cut more from Spring movie night, with the idea that the Survey itself will promote CCSPD.
4) There was widespread support for diverting Movie Night money to the Digital Expo. The Digital Expo will likely be the Spring event
5) October 5 event: will cut food budget and probably not use $300 honorarium for outside panelists. Robin Jones gets no honorarium.
6) Alyson Patsayas (PhD student in Disability Studies) presented plans for “Disability Art and Culture Events” for Fall, organized by new faculty member Carrie Sandahl. The Committee voted to funnel $500 to the Terry Galloway performance, November 16, possibly co-sponsored by CCLGBTI.
7) We will wait for Joy’s response on the use of an Independent Study in place of fully funding an RA for the Survey.
8) Peter suggested we wait to officially approve a budget until the October meeting.
B. Creation of CCSPD brochure
1) Ed volunteered the services of itl to produce the October 5 flyer and a new CCSPD brochure…without charge to the committee.
2) An accessible brochure for the CCSPD may be created and put on the CCSPD website.
C. Next meeting, October 16, East Campus
1) October meeting on East Campus: Confirmation of next meeting room will follow. Robin suggested if we meet in UH, it might be good to invite the Chancellor.
2) Room 2028 of University Hall may not have easily accessible restrooms
3) Another room in University Hall that is more accessible may have to be found for the October 16th CCSPD meeting.