Minutes- November 21, 2008 CCSPD Meeting
Present members: Peter Berg, Scott Friedman, Mark Goedert, Ed Garay, Jerry Lockwood, Darlene Ebel, Roxana Stupp, Betsy Gates- Ehlers, Drew Browning, Janet Smith, Sean Plomann (GA), Alanna O'Connor (via phone)
Approval of Agenda:
- 1st- Janet Smith, 2nd- Jerry Lockwood
- Agenda approved
- Approval of 10/18/08 Minutes: 1st- Scott Friedman, 2nd- Jerry Lockwood
- 10/18/08 Minutes approved
Meeting with Provost and Chancellor Follow-up
- Invite Vice-Chancellor Walden to the next CCSPD meetings in a letter.
- have steps taken to follow up on the survey.
University 504/ADA Coordinator:
- UIC needs employee who knows the ADA- public entity.
- Committee approach UIC administration to ask if this coordinator of the ADA at UIC can be the director of the Disability Resource Center.
- DRC is the ideal place for ADA coordinator.
Request for Funding:
- 'Alternative Spring Break' (ASB) asked CCSPD for funding to cover travel expenses for students to go to disability related events.
- Nothing significant right now for funding as CCSPD budget has already been set.
- Respond back, thank ASB, and tell them that the CCSPD can in the future.
- With the CCSPD funding external trip for students, it:
1) promotes awareness
2) educates more students on disability
Inviting Vice-Chancellor Walden to Next Meeting:
- CCSPD would like Vice-Chancellor Walden there for next meeting in the letter to him.
- Make the point that it's an 'open invitation' so the Vice-Chancellor can go other times.
- Issues to present to him:
- the word 'diversity' in the school's charter
- committed to adversity and making people more aware of it
Old Business and Reports:
- Murderball- great turnout. It was well received.
Turnout was about 70 people or so
Accessibility of Campus Climate to Enhance Student Success Program- Survey:
- can't be made public
- restrict the number of copies
- Four instruments: faculty, administration, students with disabilities, and students without disabilities
- Five copies each
- See if Dr. Susan Vogel of National Louis University, creator of the survey, can meet with the Survey.
- After 1st assessment analyze results and add questions, if needed
- one time fee for survey
- act soon to not lose funding from Provost
- Contract for 3 years with known vendors
- See if a 'cover' is needed for services rendered
- fixed prices for services
- Each department makes arrangements
- List of vendors finalized soon
- $2 million required for budget for services is to be approved soon
- assessment will be created and used
- Student GA positions are, likely, to become more permanent at the DRC