Course Coordinator Responsibilities
UIC COLLEGE OF PHARMACY
EDUCATIONAL POLICY COMMITTEE
COURSE COORDINATOR RESPONSIBILITIES
The course coordinator is responsible for development and innovation as well as day to day operation of a specific course. The course coordinator works closely with Team Leaders in the planning and execution of a course.
The course coordinator is assigned by a department head in consultation with the Educational Policy Committee.
· Create and facilitate a classroom climate that is conducive to student learning and academic integrity.
· Facilitate course development through reflection and student evaluations.
· Supervise teaching assistants assigned to the course.
· In consultation with the department head, select appropriate faculty instructors to ensure satisfactory course delivery.
· Develop a meaningful and connected topic sequence and schedule in consultation with other instructors involved in the course.
· Provide students with course syllabus that includes broad course objectives, course schedule, grading policy, expectations of academic integrity, policy for missed exams, etc.
· Coordinate course activities including the development of innovative teaching strategies and maintain course information on the UIC Blackboard Courseinfo web site or equivalent site.
· Attend, as necessary, lectures, recitations and other instructional activities of participating faculty to facilitate consistency of the course.
· Assure that course content allows student achievement of objectives associated with that course.
· Organize and hold meetings of the course instructors to discuss issues affecting student learning, testing and other classroom issues.
· Organize and hold periodic meetings with the class representatives for the course to obtain constructive student feedback.
· Evaluate student achievement.
· Select test format appropriate to course objectives.
· Monitor student progress.
· Grade assignments, quizzes, and tests (if appropriate, e.g. multiple choice tests using STAN)
· Record and assign final grades in consultation with other course faculty instructors.
· Coordinate dissemination and collection of Student-Instructor Evaluations.
· Complete the End of Course Report and send to EPC within 4 weeks of the end of the semester.
Course coordinators are accountable to their department head for academic and administrative activities associated with a course.