BPS PhD Applicant Requirements
Students can apply to the Ph.D. degree only in the Biopharmaceutical Sciences Graduate Program as the program does not admit students to the M.S. degree.
In addition to the Graduate College minimum requirements, applicants must meet the following program requirements:
- Baccalaureate Field: Biology, biochemistry, chemistry, engineering, pharmacology, pharmacy, or related biomedical science, or advanced degree (M.S., Pharm.D., or other);
- Grade Point Average: A recommended* grade point average of at least 3.00 (A=4.00) for the undergraduate degree;
- GRE General Exam (prior to August 2011): GRE General exam is required with recommended* GRE minimums for application:
- Verbal: 500;
- Quantitative: 700; and
- Analytical Writing: 4.0; or
- "Old" Analytical: 700.
- GRE Revised General Exam (August 2011 to present):
- Verbal: 153;
- Quantitative: 155; and
- Analytical Writing: 4.0;
- Personal Statement: One page is requested describing your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in the Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences; and,
- 3 Letters of Recommendation.
- For International Applicants, TOEFL exam is required with recommended* TOEFL minimums for application:
- IELTS: 7.0, with minimum subscores of 6.0 in each area;
- "Old" Computer TOEFL: 250;
- "Old" Paper TOEFL: 600; or
- "New" Internet TOEFL 100; with minimum subscores of
- Listening: 20;
- Reading: 20;
- Speaking: 21; and,
- Writing: 21.
*Recommended minimum scores are only to be used for guidance, but students with scores significantly below these levels are not typically accepted. Scores significantly below the recommended value and/or multiple scores below the recommended values significantly lower your chances for acceptance. It is the expectation of the program not to accept any students with a score below the recommended values listed on this page.