Jeffrey R. Bishop
||Jeffrey R. Bishop, PharmD, MS, BCPP|
Department of Pharmacy Practice
||833 South Wood Street, RM164 MC886, Chicago, IL 60612 |
|Research Interests |
Dr. Bishop's areas of interest include clinical pharmacogenomics and psychopharmacology.
||Postdoctoral Fellowship in Pharmacogenetics and Psychopharmacology, University of Iowa College of Pharmacy|
||MS, Clinical Investigation: NIH K30 Program; University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine|
||PharmD, with distinction: University of Iowa College of Pharmacy|
||Genetics Program Trainee: University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine|
||BA, Biology: Luther College; Decorah, Iowa|
|Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice and Department of Psychiatry|
|Representative Publications |
- Bishop JR, Alexander B, Lund BC, Klepser TB. Osteoporosis screening and treatment in women with schizophrenia: a controlled study. Pharmacotherapy 2004; 24:515-521.
- Bishop JR and Ellingrod VL. Neuropsychiatric pharmacogenetics: moving toward a comprehensive understanding of predicting risks and response. Pharmacogenomics 2004; 5:463-477.
- Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL, Moline J, Miller D. Association between the polymorphic GRM3 gene and negative symptom improvement during olanzapine treatment. Schizophrenia Research 2005; 77:253-260.
- Schultz SK, Moser DJ, Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL. Phobic Anxiety in late-life in relation to cognition and 5HTTLPR polymorphism. Psychiatric Genetics 2005; 15:305-306.
- Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL, Moline J, Miller D. Pilot study of the G-protein beta3 subunit gene (C825T) polymorphism and clinical response to olanzapine or olanzapine-related weight gain in persons with schizophrenia. Medical Science Monitor 2006; 12:47-50.
- Yin Y-C, Ellingrod VL, Bishop JR, Miller D. The relationship between P-glycoprotein (PGP) polymorphisms and response to olanzapine treatment in schizophrenia. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring 2006; 28:668-672.
- Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL, Moline J, Schultz SK, Clayton AH. Serotonin 2A -1438 G/A and G-protein Beta3 subunit C825T polymorphisms in patients with depression and SSRI-associated sexual side-effects. Neuropsychopharmacology 2006; 31:2281-2288.
- Ellingrod VL, Bishop JR, Moline J, Miller D. Leptin and leptin receptor gene polymorphisms and increases in body mass index (BMI) from olanzapine treatment in persons with schizophrenia. Psychopharmacology Bulletin 2007; 40:57-62.
- Bishop JR, Wang K, Moline J, Ellingrod VL. Association analysis of the metabotropic glutamate receptor type 3 gene (GRM3) with schizophrenia. Psychiatric Genetics 2007; 17:358.
- Bishop JR. Clinical applications of pharmacogenetics in retail pharmacy. Drug Store News: Pharmacotherapy March, 2007; 31-36.
- Worsham J, Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL. Antidepressant-associated sexual dysfunction: a review. Journal of Psychiatric and Neurologic Pharmacists 2007; 1:1-28.
- Bishop JR and Ellingrod VL. Metabotropic glutamate receptors genes as candidates for pharmacogenetic studies of current and future antipsychotic agents in schizophrenia. Current Pharmacogenomics 2007; 5:21-30.
- Leckband SG, Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL. Pharmacogenomics in psychiatry. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2007; 20:252-264.
- Pavuluri MN and Bishop JR. Pediatric bipolar disorder: translation of research findings to clinical practice. Current Medical Literature: Psychiatry 2007; 18:1-12.
- Bogarapu S, Bishop JR, Krueger CD, Pavuluri MN. Complementary medicines in pediatric bipolar disorder. Minerva Pediatrica 2008; 60:103-114.
- Bishop JR and Pavuluri MN. Review of risperidone for the treatment of pediatric and adolescent bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2008; 4:55-68.
- Bishop JR and Pavuluri MN. Update on the use of risperidone for pediatric and adolescent bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Psychopharm Review 2008; 43:9-18.
- Reilly JL, Lencer R, Bishop JR, Keedy S, Sweeney JA. Pharmacological treatment effects on eye movement control. Brain and Cognition 2008; 68:415-435.
- Weiden PJ, Bishop JR. Iloperidone for schizophrenia. Current Psychiatry 2009; 8:48-57.
- Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL, Akroush M, Moline J. The association of serotonin transporter genotypes and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)-associated sexual side effects: possible relationship to oral contraceptives. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental 2009; 24:207-215.
- Hong IS, Bishop JR. Anticholinergic use in children and adolescents taking antipsychotics. Annals of Pharmacotherapy 2010; 44:1171-80.
- Thomas KLH, Ellingrod VL, Bishop JR, Keiser MJ. A pilot study of the pharmacodynamic impact of SSRI drug selection and beta-1 receptor genotype (ADRB1) on cardiac vital signs in depressed patients: a novel pharmacogenetic approach. Psychopharmacology Bulletin 2010; 43:11-22.
- Hill SK, Bishop JR, Palumbo D, Sweeney JA. Effect of second-generation antipsychotics on cognition: current issues and future challenges. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics 2010; 10:43-57.
- Osis L and Bishop JR. Pharmacogenetics of SSRIs and sexual dysfunction. Pharmaceuticals 2010; 3:3614-3628.
- Houston J, Dharia S, Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL, Fijal B, Jacobsen JG, Hoffman VP. Association of DRD2 and ANKK1 polymorphisms with prolactin increase in olanzapine-treated women. Journal of Psychiatry Research 2011; 187:74-79.
- Bishop JR, Miller DD, Ellingrod VL, Holman T. Association between type-three metabotropic glutamate receptor gene (GRM3) variants and symptom presentation in treatment refractory schizophrenia. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental 2011; 26:28-34.
- Cochran KA, Cavallari LH, Shapiro NL, Bishop JR. Bleeding incidence with concomitant use of antidepressants and warfarin. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring 2011; 4:433-438.
- Bishop JR. Introduction to pharmacogenetics for the community pharmacist. Drug Store News: Pharmacotherapy. April 2011; 1-10.
- Weiden PJ, Solari H, Kim S, Bishop JR. Management of nonadherence in schizophrenia: understanding the role of long-acting injectable antipsychotic. Psychiatric Annals 2011; 41:271-277.
- Lee AK and Bishop JR. The pharmacogenetics of leptin in antipsychotic-associated weight gain and obesity-related complications. Pharmacogenomics 2011; 12:999-1016.
- Fiedorowicz JG, Miller DD, Bishop JR, Calarge CA, Ellingrod VL, Haynes WG. Systematic review and meta-analysis of pharmacological interventions for weight gain from antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. Current Psychiatry Reviews 2012; 8:25-36.
- Bishop JR, Rubin LH, Reilly JR, Pavuluri MN, Sweeney JA. Risperidone-associated prolactin elevation and markers of bone turnover during acute treatment. Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology 2012; 2:95-102.
- Kim S, Solari H, Weiden PJ, Bishop JR. Paliperidone palmitate injection for the acute and maintenance treatment of schizophrenia in adults. Patient Preference and Adherence 2012; 6:533-545.
- Bishop JR, Chae S, Moline J, Ellingrod VL. Pharmacogenetics of glutamate system genes and SSRI-associated sexual dysfunction. Journal of Psychiatry Research 2012; 199:74-76.
- Houston JP, Kohler J, Bishop JR, Ellingrod VL, Ostbye KM, Zhao F, Conley RR, Hoffman VP, Fijal BA. Pharmacogenomic Associations with Weight Gain in Olanzapine Treatment of Patients without Schizophrenia. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2012; 73:1077-106.
- Sagar A, Bishop JR, Tessman DC, Guter S, Martin CL, Cook EH. Co-occurrence of Autism, Childhood Psychosis, and Intellectual Disability associated with a de novo 3q29 Microdeletion. American Journal of Human Genetics Part A (in press)
- Rubin LH, Carter CS, Bishop JR, Pournajafi-Nazarloo H, Harris MSH, Hill SK, Reilly JL, Sweeney JA. Peripheral vasopressin but not oxytocin relates to severity of acute psychosis in women with acutely-ill untreated first episode psychosis. Psychiatry Research (in press)
Click here to view Dr. Bishop's on-line CV.
Return to faculty list