Mission and Vision Statements
The Department of Pharmacy Practice is an academic department within the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy (Chicago and Rockford Campuses). The department is also a service unit that provides pharmacy services within the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System and affiliated sites. Among the most comprehensive units of its type in the United States, the Department is composed of faculty and staff who are teachers, scholars and/or practitioners.
Members of the department continue a tradition of exemplary service through the following activities:
- Educating and training Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) students, undergraduate and graduate students, post-PharmD residents and fellows, and practicing pharmacists, to become nationally and/or internationally recognized for their leadership, knowledge and competence in practice, research, and/or teaching roles.
- Providing innovative pharmacy services across the continuum of care to the diverse patient populations of the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System and affiliated sites.
- Creating through research, and disseminating in the biomedical literature, new scientific knowledge about the effective, safe, and economical use of medications with the intent of improving the rational use of drugs in patients and in society.
- Developing, evaluating and disseminating innovative educational methods for educating pharmacist leaders of the future.
- Advocating professional roles for pharmacists on local, state, national and international levels.
- Collaborating with other health science professionals in teaching, service and research activities.
- Serving the public through the promotion of health and optimal use of medications.
- Advancing the profession of pharmacy through activities in professional societies both in the United States and internationally.
- Sharing our expertise to facilitate advancement of global pharmacy education, practice and research through collaborative programs.
- Creating entrepreneurial opportunities that advance pharmacy practice and further the professional and financial interests of the department, medical center, college, and university.
The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Practice will continue to be an international leader in advancing the practice of pharmacy through our contributions to research, teaching, service and entrepreneurship. The Department will be widely recognized for its educational and training programs preparing pharmacists to be the predominant resource for therapeutics in all patient care settings as well as for integral and visible patient care services within the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System at Chicago and affiliated sites.