Getting Started with TurningPoint 2008 with Office 2010
Download TurningPoint Instructions manual (pdf version)
For TurningPoint training with an IT staff member please fill out this form .
1. Launch Turning Point 2008 by double clicking on the desktop shortcut.
2. You should now see the TurningPoint toolbar across the top of your PowerPoint window. If you click on it you will see a number of icons which correspond to various Turning Point functions.
3. You can now open an existing PowerPoint presentation and add Turning Point slides to it, or you can start a new presentation. In either case you will be clicking on the “Insert Slide” icon on the Turning Point toolbar across the top of your window to add Turning Point elements to your presentation. When Opening or showing the finished presentation it is necessary to first launch Turning Point and then open the presentation file from within the application.
4. You will now choose the type of turning point slide you would like to create from the “Insert Slide” dropdown menu.
5. Based on your choice of slide type you will now have a template from which to create your Turning Point slide. This slide can be edited just like a regular PowerPoint slide as far as appearance is concerned.
6. Highlight the example text on the slide in order to customize it for your data. You can create up to ten answers in the answer text box. When done entering the answer text, click outside the answer text box and the graph will adjust to match the number of answers.
7. It is also possible to add Turning Point Objects to your Turning Point slide, such as countdowns, response counters, and correct answer indicators. These objects can be added by selecting them from the “Insert Object” drop down menu from the Turning Point tool bar.
8. From the TurningPoint 2008 Settings Pane on the right side, you can give values to your answers such as correct, incorrect, point value, or no value if you are only conducting a poll. NOTE: For Correct Answer Indicator, refer to Step 7. If you would like the audience to select multiple answers on the slide, use the dropdown box here to set the number of responses.
9. To reset the data you just collected you can click on the “Reset” Icon and select “Session” from the dropdown menu. This will prepare your slides to collect new information from the participants. (Note: You need to reset session data before beginning your presentation in order to clear out any cached data, otherwise your presentation may not collect data properly.)
10.Start the presentation as you would a normal PowerPoint presentation (press the F5 button), then advance through the slides by using traditional PowerPoint methods such as mouse clicks or arrow keys. Audience members must be on channel 14 in order for their answer to count.
When reaching a TurningPoint slide, polling will automatically open, with the showbar appearing in the top right corner. The number of responses will increase when answers are polled.
11. Advance the slide to close polling and show the results of the polling.
12. When the presentation has finished you can save your session data from the audience by clicking on “Save Session” from the Turning Point Tool Bar.
13. This file can be saved to a specified location (i.e USB drive), if desired. However, it needs to be placed into the default TurningPoint folder in order to generate reports.
14. To view a report of your session data click on the “Tools” icon in the Turning point tool bar and select “Reports” form the dropdown menu.
15. After selecting “Reports” a window will pop up asking you to select a session. Highlight the session you wish to view then click on the “Reports” tab at the top of the window.
16. Now you will select the type of information you want to be displayed in your report. If you just want to see the results recorded form your questions check the box next to “Results by Question Reports” (note: You have to select at least one report category to generate a report.
17. Now click on the “Generate Report” button on the bottom right of the Turning Reports window.
18. Your session report should now open automatically in Excel.
Using the Participant List
19. Before you begin your presentation, you can choose to use a participant list from your class roster assuming that your students have registered their ResponseCards to Blackboard. Start by clicking Tools > Integrations.
20. In the next window, select Blackboard under the Management System dropdown box and then type in “blackboard.uic.edu” into the Server URL text box.
21.Next, enter your NetID in the Username text box followed by your University Common Password in the Password textbox. Click Next when done.
22. Make sure that the radio button for Import Participant List is selected and then click Next.
23. The Blackboard courses for which you are an instructor will appear in the next window. Select the course for which you want to pull a participant list and click Finish.
24.In the next window, rename or note the name of the file that will be saved and then click Save. This will save the participant list to the default TurningPoint Participants folder.
25. TurningPoint will tell you that your participant list was imported successfully. Click OK.
26. From here, you will need to go to the settings pane in your presentation and select the participant list in the dropdown list that was imported.
27.You are now ready to begin your presentation using your class’ participant list. When you generate reports, student responses will appear next to their name and ResponseCard ID.