Chancellor's Committee on Sustainability & Energy
The Chancellor’s Committee on Sustainability and Energy (CCSE) has been established to:
- Set priorities
- Suggest new initiatives
- Monitor UIC’s progress towards goals and actions
- Assist with the preparation of reports for the campus climate commitments
- Help with the accountability of relevant sustainability initiatives
- Promote environmental awareness on campus
The CCSE currently consists of five subcommittees that meet regularly. Meetings are open to the UIC community and are currently posted on the Office of Sustainability Events Calendar.
- Energy and Utilities
- This subcommittee focuses on initiatives including energy efficiency and conservation projects, renewable energy, and greenhouse gas emissions reduction from electricity and co-generation activities. This will also include water conservation and green building policies.
- Events & Activities
- This subcommittee focuses on coordinating outreach activities on campus and provides a way for students, faculty and staff in every unit to help promote sustainability efforts and environmental awareness on campus.
- The Grounds Subcommittee makes recommendations on policies that guide the management and maintenance of UIC's landscape and non-building facilities, including the care of trees on campus.
- Recycling and Waste Management
- This subcommittee looks at UIC’s recycling and waste management programs including general, composting, construction, special and hazardous waste, and recommends processes and programs to reduce waste volume and increase recycling rates.
- This subcommittee, by examining transportation on and to campus, including air travel for university business, will develop policy and monitor progress towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions from the campus fleet and through commuting patterns.