Safety & Security
Remember, safety first!
Know your rights on the road by reviewing Chicago’s bike safety ordinances. The best thing you can do is to be a defensive rider.
If you are in a crash anywhere, you can always call 911. If you are on campus, contact the UIC Police from any red phone or by calling 312-355-5555.
- Remain calm and non-confrontational.
- Get the driver’s insurance information, license plate number, address and phone number.
- Get the name and contact information from any witnesses.
- File a formal police report.
- Get the necessary medical treatment.
- Take pictures of the accident scene, your injuries, your bike and the other vehicle.
- Have your bike inspected by a bike shop.
- Get crash support from Active Trans.
Increase your chances of getting your stolen bike back by registering your bike with the UIC Campus Police and the Chicago Police Department. Better yet, learn how to properly secure your bike to minimize theft risk.