Campus Crime Alerts
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
On April 10, at 9:50 a.m., a UIC student was the victim of an armed robbery off-campus near 1600 W. Roosevelt Road (approximate location mapped). The student reported he was approached by a lone offender, who threatened to shoot him but did not display a weapon. The offender took the student's backpack and fled east on Roosevelt Road. The student was not injured.
UIC Police strongly recommend complying with an armed offender whose intent appears to be property or valuables, as the victim did in this case.
The UIC Police/Chicago Police Department Joint Robbery Task Force and CPD Central Area Detectives will conduct the follow-up investigation.
The offender described as a black male, 20 to 25 years old, 5-feet-9 in height, 155 pounds, with hair in dreadlocks, a dark complexion, and wearing black clothing.
Anyone with information is asked to call UIC Police at 312-996-2830.
UIC Police offer the following security tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Use all five of your senses to be alert for danger, and when walking alone, don't wear headphones or earbuds.
- Try to travel in groups when possible, particularly after dark.
- Use well-lit walkways.
- On campus, look for the location of the nearest emergency call box (there are more than 1,500 across campus).
- The emergency number for UIC Police is 5-5555 or 312-355-5555, which should be set on speed-dial on your cell phone.
- Report crime promptly to police.
Residence Hall Safety tips:
- Call UIC Police immediately for all emergencies at 312-355-5555
- Call R.A. and R.D. only after notifying police
- Always lock doors/windows in residence halls
- Keep blinds closed
- Report any suspicious activity/persons to UIC Police
© Copyright 2013 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois