Established in 1859, the College of Pharmacy stands as the oldest academic unit of the University of Illinois, one of the largest and most comprehensive research universities in the nation. Our College enjoys a national reputation for excellence and has been ranked among the top college of pharmacy for scholarship, curriculum, and the quality of faculty and students.
Supportive Faculty Members
Faculty members at the UIC College of Pharmacy are committed to excellence in education, research, patient care, and community service. Students have the opportunity to learn from internationally renowned faulty and to be on the cutting edge of break-throughs in research and lifesaving health care. Many faculty members are practicing clinical pharmacists. They provide patient care and consultative services to patients at the UIC Medical Center, Veterans Administration Hospitals, and other well-known health care institutions in the greater Chicago area.
A Health Science Setting for a Pharmacy Education
The UIC College of Pharmacy is located in the State of Illinois Medical Center District, the nation's largest concentration of public and private health care facilities.
Pharmacy education reaches beyond classrooms and the Medical Center to a variety of teaching sites found in hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies in the metropolitan, suburban, and rural areas of Illinois.
In addition to the excellent academic facilities and internationally renowned faculty, numerous research laboratories and other services are available to support our students' education. These include:
- Analytical Chemistry Laboratory - Quantitative and qualitative analysis of pharmaceutical agents is carried out with high-powered liquid chromatography systems coupled with mass spectrometers.
- Bioassay Research Facility - In these laboratories, faculty, graduate and professional students are involved in biological testing of natural and synthetic drugs and extracts in order to determine biological activity and mechanisms of drug action.
- Center for Pharmaceutical Biotechnology - UIC has built a cooperative community of researchers and educators to pursue some of the many opportunities that are available for collaborative science and technology development.
- Clinical Research Laboratory - This laboratory provides unique opportunities to evaluate how the human body responds to medication. It is equipped with state-of-the-art analytical instrumentation.
- Drug Information Center - Clinical pharmacists and Doctor of Pharmacy students respond to questions from health care professionals and the public about the use, effectiveness, and toxicity of pharmaceutical agents.
- Institute for Tuberculosis Research - The Institute focuses on the discovery and development of new pharmaceutical agents and approaches useful in the treatment of tuberculosis.
- Pharmacognosy Field Station - Personnel at the field station cultivate and facilitate the extraction of medicinal plants collected by faculty on a world-wide basis. Scientists in the College then isolate drugs from plants and test them for biological activity.
- Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences (PCRPS) - Faculty from diverse fields facilitate research and development in the biomedical sciences. Closely associated with PCRPS is a World Health Organization-designated Center for Traditional Medicine in our College.
- Simulation Laboratory - This student laboratory houses a dispensing laboratory, outpatient area, and an intravenous admixture room. This unique facility enables students to gain practical experience prior to having real life experiences in pharmacy.
- Spectroscopy Laboratory - The Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy houses high field nuclear magnetic resonance and high resolution mass spectrometers that aid in the structural determination of potential biologically active agents isolated or synthesized by faculty members in the department.
- Student Computer Facilities - Students have access to state-of-the-art equipment, all with high speed internet connections, and on-site support and training.